Injured In A Trucking Accident? Who Is Liable?
Given the size of tractor-trailers and 18-wheelers, it is no secret that accidents involving large trucks are often serious ― and sometimes deadly. In fact, drivers and passengers in smaller vehicles typically have little chance of walking away uninjured if they are hit by a negligent truck driver.
If you or a family member is ever injured in a truck-related accident, you may wonder who is liable for your injuries. Well, in most cases, liability will fall on two parties: either the truck driver or the trucking company, or both.
Establishing Truck Accident Liability
There are many situations in which you may be able to seek damages and compensation following a trucking accident. For instance, a trucking company and/or its driver may be legally responsible for your injuries if:
- The truck driver was drunk or under the influence of drugs at the time of the accident.
- The truck driver was fatigued or sleepy because he or she was driving longer than permitted by law or he or she was simply not rested.
- The truck driver was speeding or otherwise operating his or her truck in a careless/reckless manner.
- The truck was overloaded or its cargo was improperly secured, and this was a contributing factor to the accident.
- The truck was poorly maintained and not in good working order, including poor brake and tire maintenance.
- The trucking company failed to properly screen or train its drivers, or it hired dangerous or unqualified drivers.
However, it is important to keep in mind that these are merely a few instances in which a truck driver or a trucking company may be liable for your injuries following a trucking accident. It is also worth mentioning that other parties may also be liable, depending on your circumstances, including government agencies who fail to maintain safe roads. In any case, it is always best to contact an experienced personal injury attorney if you have any questions.
Dedicated Legal Guidance Is Just A Phone Call Away
Whether you have been injured or lost a loved one in a trucking accident, the lawyers at The Lucky Law Firm can help you seek the damages you deserve. However, you may have a limited amount of time to bring your claim, so you should contact us right away.