Trucking Accidents: Frequently Asked Questions
If you were injured in a truck accident in Louisiana or Mississippi, there are some important things to know about your personal injury claim. If you have any questions at all, we encourage you to contact The Lucky Law Firm for a free consultation. Our truck accident lawyers help injury victims obtain the full financial recovery they need and deserve.
For a FREE consultation, please call us in Baton Rouge or New Orleans at 225-963-5453, or complete our contact form. Our truck accident lawyers represent clients throughout Louisiana and southern Mississippi.
Do I Need A Truck Accident Attorney?
Yes. To get the maximum available compensation for your injuries, you should have a truck accident lawyer on your side, fighting for you. As soon as a truck accident happens, the trucking company and its insurance provider will start building a case designed to minimize or deny your compensation. It is only fair that you have an experienced personal injury attorney on your side to fight back against the trucking and insurance companies. Don’t let them take advantage of you. Let The Lucky Law Firm help you turn your luck around.
Should I Accept The Insurance Company’s Initial Settlement Offer?
No — not before you talk to us. Trucking companies and insurance companies are notorious for making “lowball” settlement offers that come nowhere close to covering the full cost of an injury. The insurance company hopes you will accept the lowest possible offer. Our attorneys can assess the full cost of your injury, negotiate with the insurance company, and help you obtain the full and fair compensation you need to move forward.
Who Can Be Held Liable For A Trucking Accident?
Multiple parties may be at fault for a trucking accident. The most obvious party is the truck driver, but there are others who may owe you financial compensation for your injuries. Depending on the facts of your case, the potential at-fault parties include:
- The truck driver
- The shipper
- The trucking company
- The truck manufacturer
- Third-party negligent drivers
- Any of these parties’ insurance providers
What Are The Common Causes Of Truck Accidents?
The types of safety issues that often lead to trucking accidents include:
- Hours-of-service violations: Trucking companies often pressure drivers to skip breaks, and this can lead to truck driver fatigue and trucking accidents.
- Improper loading: Payloads are sometimes loaded in a way that they are allowed to shift and fall down, causing tip-over accidents.
- Faulty vehicle maintenance: Trucking companies sometimes fail to maintain their vehicles, resulting in dangerous tire blowouts, brake failures, explosions and more.
- Failure to screen truck drivers: Trucking companies may fail to do proper background checks regarding driving records, commercial drivers’ licenses, past DUIs and more.
- Basic traffic violations, including speeding, drunk or drugged driving, fatigued driving, illegal lane changes, tailgating and failure to merge
What Types Of Compensation Can I Receive After A Truck Accident?
After a collision with a commercial vehicle, you may be owed multiple types of compensation for your injuries. Depending on your specific situation, you may be owed compensation for the following:
- Medical expenses
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation
- In-home accommodations
- Lost income
- Lost earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
At The Lucky Law Firm, we assess the full cost of your injuries and how they will affect your life now and in the future. Before you accept the insurance company’s initial settlement offer, talk to us and find out what you should do if you’ve been injured in a trucking accident in Louisiana. We do not collect an attorney fee unless we win for you!
Contact The Lucky Law Firm For A Free Consultation
For a FREE consultation, please call us at 225-963-5453 or complete our contact form. With offices in Baton Rouge and New Orleans, we fight for injury victims throughout Louisiana and southern Mississippi.