Louisiana And Mississippi Dog Bite Lawyers
One of the most common claims against homeowners insurance policies are for injuries related to dog bites. According to the Center for Disease Control, dogs bite about one in every fifth American. In fact, aggressive dogs bite more than 500,000 people annually which results in approximately 12 fatalities. The majority of the victims of dog bites are young children.
If you or a loved one has been bitten by a dog, it is very important that you or your loved one know and understand the laws and limitations that pertain to the case. Each situation is different, so it is important that an experienced Louisiana or Mississippi dog bite lawyer or to determine what, if any, compensation you are entitled to recover for your damages.
Additionally, the local laws that affect your case may vary: from New Orleans to Baton Rouge to Shreveport, from Jackson to Hattiesburg to Gulfport; you need an experienced Louisiana or Mississippi injury attorney to guide you through these tangled webs of laws and ordinances. Contact the Lucky Law Firm today for your free consultation with our experienced attorneys.
What To Do If Bitten By A Dog In Louisiana Or Mississippi
- Thoroughly clean wounds.
- Seek medical assistance and advice from a doctor about possibilities of rabies or other diseases.
- If you have no prior relationship with the dog or its owner, notify animal control about the incident.
- Obtain the homeowners insurance information including insurance company and policy number.
- Confirm the dog’s owner owns the home or has an insurance policy covering the property.
Some Factors To Determine If A Dog’s Owner Is Liable For An Attack
- Dog’s previous behavior.
- Use of “Beware of Dog” sign
- Whether dog was provoked.
- Laws of Mississippi or Louisiana — where the attack took place.
- Ordinances of the city and/or parish/county where the attack took place.